Monday, August 24, 2009

Homemade Play Dough

I found this awesome easy recipe for making play dough at home. With the four kids, it can get expensive to purchase it in the store. It always gets left out to dry. I thought I would share it. I found it in a book I got from my brother-in-law (thanks Jay). It is so easy to make, I let each kid pick the color they want and make a separate batch for each of them. It usually lasts a good month if they put it away every time after playing with it. The cookbook I found it in is called KidsCooking: A Very Slightly Messy Manual, by the editors of Klutz Press.

Play Dough Recipe

1 cup white flour
1/4 cup salt
1 tbsp cream of tartar
1 cup water
2 tsp food coloring
1 tbsp vegetable oil

1. Mix flour, salt and cream of tartar in a medium pot.
2. Add water, food coloring and oil.
3. Stir over medium heat for 3-5 minutes. Don't worry if the mixture looks like a globby mess; it'll turn into dough!
4. When the mixture forms a ball in the center of the pot, take it out nd put it on a floured surface. Squich it and punch it around a bit; this is called kneading.
5.When you're done, put it in a plastic bag or airtight container and store in the fridge.

No comments: